Health, Safety & Environment (H.S.E)
Geotech implements and continuously improves on a positive, behaviour based, safety culture throughout the organization that encourages personnel to view safety as a way of life, not only a condition of employment.
We will encourage and reward a philosophy of reduced risk tolerance as we strive to achieve a corporate objective of zero injuries across our business units. Every member of our company will return home safely to their families at the end of each project.
Health & Safety Policy
The safety and health of the employees of Geotech Drilling Services Ltd. is of vital importance. Safety is a condition of employment with our company and shall not be sacrificed for the sake of expediency.
It is our belief that all incidents can be prevented and every effort shall be made to:
- Identify hazards;
- Tell others about them;
- Control or reduce the risk of those hazards.
As outlined in our company manual, safety is a shared responsibility by all employees and shall be an integral component of work activities – together we can create a positive safety culture and ensure a safe workplace.
All employees will be expected to fulfill their safety responsibilities and to follow our company safety manual.
Employees Legislated Rights:
- Right to Refuse – work that is unsafe
- Right to Know – about hazards you may encounter in the course of doing work
- Right to Participate – in your own safety and health
Management, Safety and Health Representatives and Employees will abide by our company safety manual, the Workers Compensation Act and its Regulations.
We are committed to providing a quality service in a manner that ensures a safe and healthy workplace for our employees and minimizes our potential impact on the environment. We will operate in compliance with all relevant environmental legislation and we will strive to use pollution prevention and environmental best practices in all we do.
- integrate the consideration of environmental concerns and impacts into all of our decision making and activities;
- promote environmental awareness among our employees and encourage them to work in an environmentally responsible manner;
- train, educate and inform our employees about environmental issues that may affect their work;
- reduce waste through re-use and recycling and by purchasing recycled, recyclable or re-furbished products and materials where these alternatives are available, economical and suitable;
- promote efficient use of materials and resources throughout our facility and projects including water, electricity, raw materials and other resources, particularly those that are non-renewable;
- avoid unnecessary use of hazardous materials and products, seek substitutions when feasible, and take all reasonable steps to protect human health and the environment when such materials must be used, stored and disposed of;
- purchase and use environmentally responsible products accordingly;
- where required by legislation or where significant health, safety or environmental hazards exist, develop and maintain appropriate emergency and spill response programs;
- communicate our environmental commitment to clients, customers and the public and encourage them to support it; and
- strive to continually improve our environmental performance and minimize the social impact and damage of activities by periodically reviewing our environmental policy in light of our current and planned future activities.
C.O.R. = Certificate of Recognition. A C.O.R. recognizes that the health and safety management system of an employer has been evaluated by an auditor to meet the specific standards. A health and safety management system is a process put in place by an employer to minimize the incidence of injury and illness to workers involved in the operations carried out by the employer. This is accomplished through identifying, assessing and controlling risks and potential risks to workers in all workplace operations.
To be effective, the following components are considered to be essential and form the basis of a health and safety management system:
- identification and analysis of health and safety hazards at the worksite
- control measures to eliminate or reduce the risks to workers from these hazards
- clearly-stated company policy and management commitment
- worker competency and training
- inspection program
- emergency response planning
- incident/accident investigation
- program administration
Internal H.S.E Rewards Program
Geotech remains pro-active by recognizing the safety behaviours of each crew member by having a HSE Rewards Program, which allows employees to earn safety points for each safe hour worked, which are redeemable for various consumer goods. If you are a Geotech employee, the HSE Rewards catalogue can be found by clicking on the icon below.