Site C Transmission Line
- SECTOR: Hydroelectric - Geotechnical
- LOCATION: Fort St. John, BC
- DATE: 2016 - 2019
- EQUIPMENT: Fraste MDXL & HP 200 Heli-portable
Between 2016 and 2019 Geotech completed numerous site investigations for BC the Hydro Site C Transmission Line.
Geotech was selected as the Prime Contractor for these projects completing site management tasks including but not limited to; managing 8+ subcontractors on the project responsible for tree falling, site access, pad building, vacuum truck, water truck, investigative excavations, and remediation construction. Geotech also managed the environmental aspects and impacts collaborating closely with McElhanney and Wood Plc.
Throughout the program several methodologies were completed including ODEX, mud rotary, auger, and coring. Borehole depths ranged from 10m to 150m. The project had several holes required track, truck and heli-portable access and drilling. Sampling and testing included soil core, rock core, standard penetration testing, shelby tubes with a piston sampler, vane shear testing, and cone penetration testing. Boreholes were completed with installations including; monitoring wells, piezometers, vibrating wire piezometers, and slope inclinometers.
- Heli-portable access with challenging logistics with hole locations situated near water bodies.
- Project completed over all 4 seasons dealing with multiple weather changes.
- Rapidly changing schedule to meet timeline and scope requirements based on real time results.
- Multiple sub-contractors and management to ensure compliance with all BC Hydro and Geotech expectations.
- Heli-portable crews travelled to site via Argo or on foot up to 2 km each day.
- Up to 6500′ of waterline to some locations.
- Successful integration and planning for all sub-contractors to safely meet all project objectives.