Faro Mine Reclemation
- SECTOR: Mining- Geotechnical
- LOCATION: Faro, Yukon
- DATE: 2018
- EQUIPMENT: Fraste MDXL, TerraSonic, CPT Morooka
Geotech has worked on the Faro mine site periodically since 2010, providing infrastructure drilling and CPT services for the reclamation of the mine.
Geotech and their partner CPT Gregg Canada completed a large program in 2018. The project was part of INAC’s (Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada) commitment to remediate the Faro Mine Complex.
The project was a awarded with an expectation of immediate mobilization, to complete the scope as safely and diligently possible to meet annual budget cut off dates as set by the Federal government.
The program included different disciplines of drilling including but not limited to; geotechnical mud rotary and diamond drill coring on self-mobile track mount units, shallow and deep geotechnical, exploration and hydrogeological sonic drilling and CPT / in-situ testing with our partners Gregg on a frozen tailings pond with a track mounted low ground pressure CPT unit. Geotech & Gregg were able to complete over 1200 meters of diamond/sonic coring and CPT testing with up to 14 employees allocated to the 3-month program.
- Continually changing scope based on results resulting in addition of crew members and changing schedule to meet demand
- Cold winter conditions with work completed in quarter one in the Yukon
- Remote site location
- Extensive health and safety expectations for all field crews
- 4 different drilling and CPT platforms working at one time on the project.
- Real time budget reporting to maintain timelines and commitments
- Extensive administrative field support including full time Project Management on site (Site Supervisor) and Health and Safety officer